Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Thankful 7th

 

Today was quite cooler than the days before....we were only to a high of about 57....I hear tonight is going to be close to the freezing mark.  It doesn't get too cold here, at least not for a long period of time.  We have spells of it.  But on a sunny day, the mid 40's are pretty decent as long as the wind isn't blowing. 

So tonight I am thankful for warm food, a warm house, my warm clothes, my bed, coffee that is brewing before I get out of bed in the mornings (or else Miss T would be nasty), fall collards and for my warm car.

Fall collards you ask?  YES....once the first frost or two has nipped them, mmmmmmmmmmmmm that is some good eatin.

It's actually the only GREEN leaf I will eat beyond lettuce.  I don't eat turnips, brussel sprouts or mustard or cabbage plain....rarely do I eat spinich, unless it's on a pizza or rolled up with bread crumbs and cheese.  The family cooks always tried to get me to eat the others, but LISTEN UP PEOPLE I DON'T LIKE THEM OK????!!!!!!

Now Miss T....that's another story.  She LOVES turnips and collards.  Don't think she's much on mustard greens or cabbage.

That is why I'm thankful that I was raised in the COUNTRY!!!  None of this city-fied eatin for me.  Cans of this and bags of that.  Mr Man thinks veggies come in a bag, frozen.....er, how'd ya think they got there dude?

Don't get me wrong, I have and still do open cans and dump them in a pot.  But the very bestestinthewholewideworld is fresh speckled butterbeans or field peas or sweet corn or tomatoes or potatoes or cucumbers or watermelon......right out of the garden.

Wonder if I can talk Nanny into fryin up some chicken this weekend and breaking out some veggies for me. 

Boy oh boy would I have something ELSE to be thankful for!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

All this crazy food talk.  Just eat your veggies!  There are people starving all over the world.  LOL  Have a good Thursday.

Phil

Anonymous said...

I love all greens. I don't grow them anymore but used to. Used to grow all kinds of veggies.  Nothing like them. Helen

Anonymous said...

Butterbeans give me gas, so I'm thankful for frabreeze!

Anonymous said...

Your right. Nothing like garden fresh !!!

Hugs,
E.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love garden fresh also!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I am the same way with the Southern food.  Yummmmmy!!!!  You forgot fried okra. lol.  Yep, you have much to be thankful for too. : )  And I'm glad it's getting colder too cause it means my citrus will be ripe soon. Love ya, Shelly

Anonymous said...

I love vegatables.  Some people think I'm a rabbit I eat so many salads.  LOL  Hope you are having a good Thursday.  It is going to be hot here in Phoenix today.  I think I'd love the cooler weather you are having. : )

Allison

Anonymous said...

I love fresh veggies too.  Usually I make frozen, but ya can't beat em fresh out of the garden!
I love your thankful lists each day. what a great idea!
hugs
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Now I'm getting hungry!  LOL
Traci

Anonymous said...

How can you not eat spinich. I have it with just about everything.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU)))))))))))))))))Have a nice weekend.

Anonymous said...

collard greens? yuck! lol    You are a healthy eater thats for sure. Its COLD here...i hate cold weather.
love you
lisa

Anonymous said...

LOL...what's up with all the thankful stuff...hehe?  I saw Shelly doing this too.  Ugh, I might have to scratch my head and come up with a new entry this month.  Thanks for the bday card.  I'm planning on doing something like drinking too much.  I saw you have a nasty headache.  Hope that goes away soon.  I used to get them all the time.  Love ya, Chris

Anonymous said...

I love fresh garden veggies too and am really looking forward to having our first Kentucky veggie garden, hopefully this coming spring.  Hugs,
Lisa